Re: [Lsr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-msd-11.txt

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Tue, 15 May 2018 08:54 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Cc: "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 04:54:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [Lsr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-msd-11.txt

Hi Les,

I was going over the 2 SR-MSD documents (IS-IS and OSPF) just wondering how viable it would be and if we should combine them.

In any case doing the diff highlighted a couple issues in the IS-IS version.

Issue: Under both the Node and Link sub-tlv's the MSD type (1?) is not actually mentioned, only the "MSD value", if one was pedantic it would mean that regardless of the type the value was always the same, certainly not what is intended. :)

Issue: The OSPF version adds text about what to do in the presence of multiple instances of the same TLV. This highlighted the fact that the IS-IS draft doesn't do this, but also doesn't talk about there only being 1 allowed.

Maybe Issue: We've got 2 drafts creating the same sub-[-sub]-tlv MSD type registry. I fully agree that we should only have one registry, but it's interesting that we'll have 2 publications that create and reference it. Also, where does this registry go in IANA? There are distinct IS-IS, OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 pages that contain the IANA registries for each protocol. Should we create a new shared LSR or IGP page? Anyway this might be a reason to combine the 2 documents.

While somewhat inelegant we could probably avoid any need to re-Last Call if the combination was basically a cut and paste operation.

Thanks,
Chris.