Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Poll for "Flexible Algorithms: Bandwidth, Delay, Metrics and Constraints" - draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Fri, 14 May 2021 09:50 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Peter Psenak <ppsenak@cisco.com>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con@ietf.org" <draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 09:50:32 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.243.143]
Subject: Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Poll for "Flexible Algorithms: Bandwidth, Delay, Metrics and Constraints" - draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, please see inline:

Yes, here I mean flex-algo number specific metric.

> (a) already exists in the form of the ASLA advertisement for delay and TE-metric.
> Bandwidth metric will be no different.
>
> (b) there has been no such thing as flex-algo X specific metric/attribute defined
> so far. And we are not defining it in this draft either. The draft defines sub-TLVs
> for automatic bandwidth metric calculation. It is the winning FAD for the
> Flex-Algorithm X that specifies whether the automatic bandwidth metric
> calculation is done or not and it would be rather complicated (certainly possible)
> to have the parameters for such calculation being advertised outside of the
> FAD.
>
> You are right these being part of the FAD may result in the calculated bandwidth
> metric being different for each flex-algo on the same link.
> The intention was NOT to have the different per algo bandwidth metric value,
> rather it was the convenience of reusing the FAD that was the motivation for
> the existing encoding.

Understood. Perhaps some text to clarify this would be helpful, such as:

The reference bandwidth is considered a global parameter for the network, it is not expected to use different reference bandwidth for different flex-algos.

> So to answer your question, we do NOT intend to make any link attributes per
> flex-algo number.

This answer is clear, thanks.

Best regards,
Jie