Re: [Lsr] Summary of WGLC discussion about draft-ietf-isis-te-app-06.txt and draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse-07.txt

Robert Raszuk <> Fri, 24 May 2019 12:05 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id CED631202E2 for <>; Fri, 24 May 2019 05:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.999
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.999 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Jp7og1DWF3LE for <>; Fri, 24 May 2019 05:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::733]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 945F1120092 for <>; Fri, 24 May 2019 05:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by with SMTP id a132so7077399qkb.13 for <>; Fri, 24 May 2019 05:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=google; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=mjtGnuBiVb6onk1goJoJ1QmoNUzxPSCUgMHTZ0Gjxd0=; b=eRlf8tSDeaVq5MJoVtTIzXpCovRK40CJGJ8ampsGr/NLKnZbClEWkbmQbu4TdINvgT 26sL2YpwFFNie4AvVK168SoYbAeggWK5ruUQGUOiRnzvOMoHYl5pOYnVfrIRGHoFmLCQ de/EO1MHUrvqRMOLg9V60qUkLYBoRveBKHqjIRvYUnIO5rZCOgGX9SgwwNshVEJo9kO6 A2G3TDWYeRslxpyCw6Pp9gK/jIlEASbypjviZxILyB934CpwvJnFnyupY9cXmCTSGEF1 8vTuJK9hjwrVuSAPSO0gLdxVS7yYeuhwF0Amzdlt9WC/y+O+g5+6NKH/NF8QUkyzMXRi zBXQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20161025; h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=mjtGnuBiVb6onk1goJoJ1QmoNUzxPSCUgMHTZ0Gjxd0=; b=I2ygpMDaUZVSV+lTsTjFLnNhGXz+jGgW9luHAQeeoPHC9DNymY2MPXQ3KzBVYioTcu zcFcFT2rA8/xEdI8gdGY+6tkY51Hl0i7XnpxfYCG5+q4zRXP8hYsoa2ififUF6V3gs6f n8Xc2m54pP5eTIfoc9LbAsS+ecw7Qe3aKCqdLjUG0KwHxMRvbdbIlXyuFHFP73bRm8fK vr0vWlV/NOwrNCY3Kv8FuSBRRHwFu+Qp0b26u2yt+eBcKNe64KJZyGD8g4iVCuK3Fmvu 98I8/dT8HrM5IE+sMEfiEnfazqeHj6l5XerbIfnVe1vYn4Cy2YxbsiVbEOGHpl7KHgrE 3s6Q==
X-Gm-Message-State: APjAAAVlRBIQcex508TnUfgbENiDO2mQ/NcI/c96hLAIQZd0GHGGOHkz 8BtdFtXjbt3ccpkZuDNFrqQPEXyNP7V7qiRv9UeYmQ==
X-Google-Smtp-Source: APXvYqzpa0L+BPoXCwoewmye/RlrpENxizE8s7TlE3KlWBKLxMgxQC0UmdW39M4fwzO3JSnIlA6JbV/46MTcMrcBehs=
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:1206:: with SMTP id u6mr2865625qkj.88.1558699497358; Fri, 24 May 2019 05:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <> <>
In-Reply-To: <>
From: Robert Raszuk <>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 14:04:43 +0200
Message-ID: <>
To: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <>
Cc: "" <>, "" <>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="000000000000da1f0e0589a101e6"
Archived-At: <>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Summary of WGLC discussion about draft-ietf-isis-te-app-06.txt and draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse-07.txt
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Link State Routing Working Group <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 12:05:02 -0000

> With respect to your comments on BGP-LS, this is out of scope for LSR.

During last IETF it has been communicated by IDR chairs that there is an
agreement that all IGP extensions in LSR WG will define in the same
document also extensions to BGP-LS so the work is not duplicated and that
IDR will stop dealing with IGP encoding.

Quote from minutes:

"Propose: one document to keep the encoding in both IGP and BGP-LS. asking
LSR to handle encoding in their document set "

Chair's slide 5:

"Propose asking LSR to handle encoding in their document set"

Putting aside to what I personally think about BGP-LS are you as LSR
co-chair not going to follow the above recommendation/proposal ?


On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Acee Lindem (acee) <> wrote:

> Hi Olivier,
> I think the WG's energy has been completely focused on the dynamic
> flooding and these WG last calls didn't get the deserved attention.
> As for as your comments, the first two were discussed for over a year and
> half. There were other advantages as well. For example, the link attribute
> encoding reduced (OSPFv2) or eliminated (OSPFv3) the need to correlate LSA
> attributes for a single link. We will note your objection in the shepherds
> report on the documents. We could even include a pointer to your quagga
> code that took a different approach if you wish to provide one.
> With respect to your comments on BGP-LS, this is out of scope for LSR.
> While I haven't seen NLRI that hits the limit, I'm confident that the IDR
> WG will come up with a solution.
> Thanks,
> Acee
> On 5/23/19, 5:57 AM, "Lsr on behalf of" <
> on behalf of> wrote:
>     Dear all
>     As there is no more exchange about the two mentioned drafts since 3
> weeks, I'll try to summarize the exchange and
>     the requested modifications.
>     The drafts proposed to extended IS-IS respectively OSPF to advertise
> new TE parameters to overcome 2 issues:
>      1 - Topology incongruence between the IGP and TE
>      2 - Provide different parameters per application
>     For the first point, topology incongruence is not due to the protocol
> itself but to the fact that an operator
>     may activate or not TE information on all links of its network.
> Indeed, RFC3630 and RFC5305 precise that TE
>     information are Optionals.
>     However, in both drafts, the term RECOMMENDED is used, which IMHO not
> solve the problem. An operator keeps the choice
>     to activate or not this new TE information leading again to an
> incongruence network topology. At least, wording
>     need to be change to MUST or MANDATORY. But, why not just change the
> wording of RFC3630 and RFC5305 ?
>     In addition, no operator express explicitly that their are concern by
> topology incongruence.
>      => Introduction sections should be improved to better justify why we
> need to modify TE link advertisement
>      => Wording must be revise to avoid incongruence topology
>     For the second point, TE information are related to a link not an
> application even if at the origin, RFC3630 and RFC5305
>     were design for RSVP-TE. It is not mention in the RFCs that they could
> not be applicable to other protocol / application.
>     If the idea, in liaison to first point, it to determine is an
> application / protocol is enable / disable on a given link,
>     even if their have been not selected, drafts
> draft-hegde-ospf-advertising-te-protocols-01.txt and
>     draft-hegde-isis-advertising-te-protocols-03.txt are largely
> sufficient as it is not necessary to duplicate link TE
>     information. In addition, Router Information already provides
> indication on the support of SR by this router (presence
>     of SRGB) where all IGP links are de-facto SR enable.
>     Then, GMPLS specific attributes are not taken into account in these
> drafts.
>      => GMPLS must be considered as another application and specific GMPLS
> attribute must be part of the drafts
>      => or standardised only SABML / UDABML flags without duplicating TE
> information
>     Network operational transition issues are poorly address in these
> drafts. Indeed, router upgrade
>     take time in large scale network (several weeks even several months)
> leading cohabitation of the 2 systems which
>     introduce a large degree of complexity for operators for network
> management.
>      => Improve migration section to help operator during the transition
> phase
>     And finally, if we go a bit further, dealing with SDN, all these new
> TE information need to be learnt by and SDN
>     controller e.g. a PCE, which naturally conduct to use BGP-LS for this
> purpose. However, recent discussion in idr WG
>     mention that there is already too many attributes that have been
> standardised dealing with problem with the maximum
>     size of BGP message. These new TE information will also certainly
> appear as duplicate regarding RFC7752 and RFC8571.
>     So, I would ask authors of both drafts to know how they intend to
> manage this problem ?
>     For us, if these new TE information could not be learnt through
> BGP-LS, there is no interest to use them.
>     Regards
>     Olivier
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>     Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations
> confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>     pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez
> recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>     a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les
> messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>     Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere,
> deforme ou falsifie. Merci.
>     This message and its attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information that may be protected by law;
>     they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>     If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
> delete this message and its attachments.
>     As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have
> been modified, changed or falsified.
>     Thank you.
>     _______________________________________________
>     Lsr mailing list
> _______________________________________________
> Lsr mailing list