Re: [Lsr] Prefix Unreachable Announcement Use Cases

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Fri, 20 November 2020 14:48 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 22:48:00 +0800
Cc: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Prefix Unreachable Announcement Use Cases

Hi, Robert:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Nov 20, 2020, at 16:10, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:
>

> Gyan,
>
> I like and support your use case #1
>
> For use case #2 I have doubts. Imagine indeed an area which get's partitioned such that ABR will loose connectivity to bunch of nodes. Does this mean that now such ABR will be blasting globally perhaps 1000s of PUAs ? How would the ABR be able to send PUA summary provided some disconnected POPs within area could be nicely summarized ?
[WAJ] If ABR can do PUA summary, it is certainly better.  Or else, send the “PUA+Summary” for failure prefixes or send the “detailed reachable information-summary“ for connected prefixes, depend which one is less. Do you have other proposals?

> Isn't it better to design your area such that ABRs are interconnected with redundancy ?

[WAJ] Such requirement is certainly reasonable, but it still can’t avoid the extreme situation.