Re: [Lsr] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg-40: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 08 October 2019 10:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 03:12:49 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: slitkows.ietf@gmail.com
Cc: 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg@ietf.org, 'Yingzhen Qu' <yingzhen.ietf@gmail.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, lsr-chairs@ietf.org, lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg-40: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for pulling in the fixes; just a few notes inline (and trimming)...

On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 10:33:49AM +0200, slitkows.ietf@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thanks for your comment.
> Please find some inline answers.
> I'm doing the changes as part of the -41.
>

> Stephane

[...]
> In the "protection-available" container, is there some sort of constraint that two of the alternate-metrics add up to the third?
> [SLI] It is not really a constraint from a YANG point of view, these are operational counters.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "constraint", since that's a YANG
verb.  I was just asking if the description should reiterate to the reader
that in normal circumstances the two will add up to the third (and "no" is
a fine answer).

[...]
>        container delay-metric {
>          leaf metric {
>            type std-metric;
>            description "IS-IS delay metric for IPv4 prefix";
>          }
>          leaf supported {
>            type boolean;
>
> Should the "metric" leaf be conditional on "supported" being true?
> (Same for the other flavors of metric, as well as when they appear later on in the "neighbor" grouping.)
>

> [SLI] This is not a configuration leaf, so I don't think that there is a need for enforcement at YANG level.

Oh, I had missed that it was config false; sorry about that.

[...]
>        container unidirectional-link-delay-variation {
>          description
>            "Container for the average delay variation
>            from the local neighbor to the remote one.";
>          leaf value {
>            type uint32;
>            units usec;
>            description
>              "Delay variation value expressed in microseconds.";
>
> Is this a standard deviation (variance), mean absolute error, ...?
> [SLI] We just mimic what is defined in RFC8570. As the reference is defined in the model. People should refer to it for more details.
> Moreover this is a pure operational state.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8570#section-4.3 still leaves me a little
unclear about what exactly is being reported (it sounds like it's just an
average link delay so the word "variation" confuses me), but I agree that
we should not say any more in this document.

>        container unidirectional-link-loss {
>          [...]
>          leaf value {
>            type uint32;
>            units percent;
>            description
>              "Link packet loss expressed as a percentage
>              of the total traffic sent over a configurable interval.";
>
> This document is all about specifying configuration.  How do I configure the interval in question?
> [SLI] This is an operational state.

The leaf value is operational state, yes, but it reports a valid computed
"over a configurable interval".  How do I configure that interval?

Thanks!

-Ben