Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Mon, 18 July 2011 17:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:37:04 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
Cc: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

How do we know governments will last that long?

Very few institutions have existed more than a few hundred years without
major changes in function and structure. Oxford was founded as a religious
community and only made training for the priesthood the primary purpose in
the middle ages. The idea of being a general purpose educator comes from the
Victorian era.

What I like about the Harber & Stornetta approach is that it allows multiple
archives to be bound together in ways that makes their integrity
interdependent.