Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

Istvan Zsolt BERTA <istvan.berta@microsec.hu> Wed, 10 August 2011 08:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:38:58 +0200
From: Istvan Zsolt BERTA <istvan.berta@microsec.hu>
To: ltans@ietf.org, vigil@cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Subject: Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

Dear Martín,

In Hungary, the authentic long-term archival of electronically signed
documents is included in the e-signature law. Aside qualified CAs, we
also have qualified archiving service providers.

The Hungarian Chamber of Notaries is running an archival project since
2007. Certain classes of notarial deeds are archived electronically. The
notary creates the notarial deed on paper, scans it (as PDF), signs it
with her qualified electronic signature and sends it to the archives
(our company is a qualified archiving service provider, we run these
archives). A few million notarial deeds are archived this way currently.

Notaries create their signatures in XAdES-A format, and in the archives
these signatures are archived in an LTANS ERS -like format. We do not
use ERS because when our system was started, ERS RFCs were not available
yet, but our logic is very similar to ERS.

Electronically signed documents are also used (and archived) in context
of the Hungarian registry of businesses. If you want to found a company
in Hungary, you need to turn to a lawyer, and your lawyer submits the
necessary electronically signed documents to the business registry
court. The judge at the registry court also creates an electronically
signed resolution.
Lawyers are required to archive these electronically signed documents,
e.g. using a qualified archiving provider. This system also involves
millions of documents, but only a small fraction of them is archived
currently. (There are already certain resolutions that were not archived
properly and their timestamps expired. They are problematic.)

Unfortunately I have very little written information on this in English
(our English website is rather just a placeholder):

http://www.berta.hu/publications/Berta2007efpe.pdf (of year 2007)
http://www.berta.hu/publications/Berta2011efpe.pdf (of year 2011)
http://srv.e-szigno.hu/menu/index.php?lap=english_archiving
http://srv.e-szigno.hu/menu/index.php?lap=english_firm_registry

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, and I shall do my
best to answer.

Regards,

István