Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Mon, 18 July 2011 15:51 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:51:47 -0700
From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

On 7/17/2011 1:28 PM, Tobias Gondrom wrote:
> (Yes, ltans is close to completion. The last bit we wait for is formal
> publication of RFC 6283, which should happen Monday or Tuesday.)
>
> I read about the scheme you describe below.
> Although I can see certain value in the linked hash chain, personally
> I am not sure the additional value is significant enough compared to
> let's say using multiple redundant TS (which does not require any
> coordination between TSAs).
>
> From most of the current business scenarios I've seen the past months
> and years, I would probably not expect a big push for the approach
> (which of course is only my personal data set and does not exclude
> there could be some business need out there).
>
> Best regards, Tobias

I want to start a new NTP Time Stamping WG which uses the existing NTP
protocol as a transport for timestamps and content validation services.
As to why this is necessary - the issue is in the Trust Factors and
Uniform Time Service models which all involve the hosting OS as the
intermediary between the various protocols and their services. This is a
failure of many of the IETF's efforts, but hey it is what it is...

That said - NTP as both a time distribution vector, time verification
vector and content controller is a natural fit.

Any interests?

Todd Glassey