Re: [ltans] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ltans-dssc-12.txt

Bill Russell <brussell@pericore.com> Thu, 01 October 2009 14:12 UTC

From: Bill Russell <brussell@pericore.com>
To: "ErnstG.Giessmann@t-systems.com" <ErnstG.Giessmann@t-systems.com>, "ltans@ietf.org" <ltans@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:13:50 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [ltans] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ltans-dssc-12.txt

Hi Ernst,

Thanks for your insight, but the thing to keep in mind is that behind the definition is also a common usage of that definition. So, while technically Time is a CHOICE, the practice of which choice to make is defined in RFC 3280 (at least in terms of validity). While RFC 3280's use of Time does not bind us, it's easier to avoid the confusion. See below from RFC 3280.

4.1.2.5  Validity

   <...>

   CAs conforming to this profile MUST always encode certificate
   validity dates through the year 2049 as UTCTime; certificate validity
   dates in 2050 or later MUST be encoded as GeneralizedTime.

   <...>

By selecting GeneralizedTime, we erase the ambiguity. RFC 3280's usage of Time I believe is one of legacy, because I imagine most would prefer a 4 digit year after Y2K.

Take care,
Bill