Re: [ltans] WG Action: Conclusion of Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (ltans)

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org> Sat, 23 July 2011 13:33 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:32:28 +0100
From: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
To: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] WG Action: Conclusion of Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (ltans)

Todd,

thank you for your input.

The working group name and charter do not hold legal implications and
the word "notary" in technical terms is no more "magic" than any other
word.
The WG tried to identify notary specific requirements and possible
solutions, but as Carl explained we discontinued the notary path due to
missing input on the requirements document up to IETF65  (and btw. that
included all sources: neither technical nor legal experts did
participate sufficiently to continue with that).

There is no need to wash the word "notary" from the charter or WG name,
because the charter still documents that the WG aspired and tried to
address issues in this realm, though unsuccessfully in this case. Please
note, that this is not bijective, i.e. although all work of a WG must be
included in the charter, but not everything lined out in the charter and
worked on in the WG must result in a RFC.

Kind regards, Tobias

Ps.: and on a personal note: though the WG did not address notary
requirements in specific, I would not be surprised to see Timestamps and
ERS, XMLERS and ers-scvp or dssc be useful and valuable supporting
elements in systems deployed in notary offices in the future or even today.