Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 12 August 2011 19:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:39:50 -0700
From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

On 8/12/2011 8:25 AM, Istvan Zsolt BERTA wrote:

> Dear Todd,
>
> 2011.08.10. 15:13 keltezéssel, todd glassey írta:
>>> In Hungary, the authentic long-term archival of electronically signed
>>> documents is included in the e-signature law. Aside qualified CAs, we
>>> also have qualified archiving service providers.
>>>
>> Is there a Design Specification available?
>
> What do you mean on Design Specification? We have the archiving
> service listed in our e-signature law, and this law prescribes the
> requirements a qualified archiving service provider must fulfill.
>
> There is an English version here:
> http://www.docshare.com/doc/199777/hungary
yes!

> Our authorities also released some 'guidance' on the technical
> requirements and policy requirements, but I think they are going to be
> superseded by the recently released ETSI specifications:
>
> ETSI TS 101 533-1 Information Preservation Systems Security; Part 1:
> Requirements for Implementation and Management
> http://webapp.etsi.org/workprogram/Report_WorkItem.asp?WKI_ID=31009
>
> ETSI TR 101 533-2 Information Preservation Systems Security; Part 2:
> Guidelines for Assessors
> http://webapp.etsi.org/workprogram/Report_WorkItem.asp?WKI_ID=34232

http://pda.etsi.org/exchangefolder/ts_10153301v010101p.pdf

This is really funny - it was written by Engineers and not Audit
professionals. Its the problem with all of the ETSI Guidance about time
and evidence as far as I can tell.

_*What actually is UTC?
*_Look for instance at A.10.10.6 - the Clock Synchronization. I bet most
of the engineers who wrote this have no idea what UTC is. I mean they
know it comes from the BIPM but the have no idea how the UTC values are
computed or when they are computed.

For instance I DONT MEAN THIS AS A NASTY COMMENT - but I bet the LTANS
group (as a whole)  generally doesn't know that UTC is a computed value
which is produced in arrears of the moment that it is actually stated to
represent.  The problem is that most of the NTP team don't know this
either.

UTC is not a notice of now then but rather an instance in time which
will be (or was) agreed to by a group of Metrological Wizards when the
Circular-T work is completed and the next UTC time fixing is completed.
In fact most all have no idea that the instant in the now which we think
of as UTC is actually the last instance of UTC + some number of Atomic
Second of incremental time.

The actual UTC instant is derived from the log data submitted monthly
(and that is the key concept here - monthly) by the 55 Master Timing
Laboratories who participate in the generation of Schedule-T... So here
is how it works - the master timing labs all submit the last months
timing data to the BIPM's CIPM and the UTC team then queries IERS.ORG
and a couple of other entities and poof - about thirty (30) days later -
they declare a UTC timing fixing for a point in time which functionally
was probably about 50 to 60 days ago...

What's funnier is how spoofable GPS or even basic NTP is... these are
the highly reliable transports talked about in the ETSI guidance excerpt
which follows:
A.10.10.6 Clock synchronization
Long Term Preservation specific controls:

   1. The IPSP shall have in force an auditable procedure, based the
      outcomes of the Risk Assessment, ensuring that all the applied
      time references, in relation to the IPS, are reliably fetched from
      a trusted UTC time source and maintained unaltered throughout the
      entire IPS.
   2. All IPSP time references shall be UTC based, e.g. "UTC+1, "UTC+2",
      etc., to make it possible to reconcile all of them to a consistent
      chronology.
   3. The IPSP shall ensure that all logging records express the time in
      a unique manner, even when the IPSP systems are located in
      different time zones.

NOTE: This can be achieved either by synchronising all IPS related
systems on the same time zone or by
explicitly stating the systems time through UTC based notation (e.g.
"UTC-6").
What that means is in the world of Metrology there are time-frames about
what and when in the UTC process which no one sees. So how does this
affect long term document storage? - Simple the timestamps need to be
rewritable.

> None of these requirements go into details like prescribing certain
> formats, etc.
Which is why zI pushed back to hard against the ETSI methods - they also
were written by people who refused to put practice statements into them
meaning they are functionally worthless. OK not worthless but pretty
close. Look no use guidelines means they are incomplete standards since
they leave it up to the end users to come up with their own operating
models. This was always the issue with any IETF models - they simply
dont come with "you use it this way" documentation which would constrain
the design and its use fully.

>>> http://www.berta.hu/publications/Berta2011efpe.pdf (of year 2011)
>>> http://srv.e-szigno.hu/menu/index.php?lap=english_archiving