Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org> Mon, 08 August 2011 00:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 01:39:58 +0100
From: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
To: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] Concrete examples of long-term archiving

Hi Martin,

in general you can find real life examples when larger organisations are
dealing with critical documents (that in paper form would be signed and
often documenting high value issues) for a longer time frame.

For example:
- the German federal government uses ERS for signed data.
There is even a guideline for all German government agencies on how to
use it:
https://www.bsi.bund.de/ContentBSI/Publikationen/TechnischeRichtlinien/tr03125/index_htm.html
(unfortunately in German, sorry)
* one scenario is for example documents signed in internal workflows and
documents being delivered to an agency through a so-called agency
"inbox-system".
- other real life examples are:
* long-term storage of documents, like pension contracts, sorry can't be
more specific due to confidentiality
* patient records in health care (in some jurisdictions the health care
provider (e.g. hospital) is responsible to guarantee the integrity and
authenticity of all archived patient records for the whole lifespan of
the patient (and to be able to proof that). In the past this was done
via paper documents, etc. But when such an institution moves/moved to
electronic records and documents, electronic signatures were used and
also required ERS to protect against broken algorithms.
* electronic invoices: EU directive on electronic invoices requires them
to carry a qualified signature to be used for pre-tax allowances. And as
in some jurisdictions it may take years until the tax auditor validates
the records, signature algorithms may become weak and require ERS to
renew their strength.
* or think of blueprints and documentation for air-planes and ammunition
during their manufacturing process, to be stored for the whole lifetime
they may be in use.

But to add a pinch of salt: My personal observation is that the vast
majority of cases of long-term authenticity and proof of existence is
still using pure simple paper documents stored somewhere physically safe
in a bunker/paper archive - like we did the last few hundred years....
(Some companies/government agencies have developed the technical
capabilities to do this electronically with ERS, but most of them
haven't yet).

Hope that helps, Tobias