Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

"Remo Tabanelli" <remo@t-bizcom.com> Tue, 15 September 2009 19:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:07:54 +0200
From: Remo Tabanelli <remo@t-bizcom.com>
To: Bill Russell <brussell@pericore.com>
Cc: "ietf-ltans@imc.org" <ietf-ltans@imc.org>
Subject: Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

On Mar, 15 Settembre 2009 7:53 pm, Bill Russell wrote:
> Hi Todd & Remo,
>
> If the term Proof is in fact copyrighted, I would guess that any legal
> rights were lost long ago by failing to enforce it properly, as it is used
> by multiple companies and with multiple products. That notwithstanding,
> the emphasis of my email was not on copyrighted terminology, but rather on
> the fact that the term might be confused in usage. Carl's comment is
> perhaps the more important though, does this topic even warrant discussion
> as part of this group? I apologize for any confusion I may have introduced
> by my email, as I was merely trying to suggest that the term is
> overloaded. I think your email continues to make the point that it is in
> fact not the best for this group to incorporate.
>
> Take care,
> Bill

Bill I fully understand your warning and (at least in part) I agree with
you... but this is not what I am worried about.

I have not expressed an opinion about the fact that  using the term
proposed by Todd is appropriate or not.

My opinion was simply about the fact that we (the WG) can or cannot use
the proposed term!
And clearly I have a very firm opinion about the fact that we can use it
and... let me reinforce te concept... IMHO if we want (if we, all the
folks here, agree on it) we can use *any* term we like!
Disregarding totally the **miserable** "topic" about the pretended
"copyrighted" term.

"Proof" you said?...

In the real life be sure that I will challenge in any court any allegation
(to me or any of my interest) about the use of a single english word (or
any language) or common phrase/term like "Proof".... if you (or any other)
pretend the exclusive use of the term (without the entire document or
context of the *really copyrigthed work*) ...

I will ack on any copyrigthed work but not (repeat not) on any
"decontestualized" term or word included in the copyrigthed work!

Pretending the exclusive use of a term or single phrase (without a contex
or case specification) is absurd in any *legal system* of this (real)
world!
This is *not legal* and not fair!
And.. yes... maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that (in the case) I will
be the winner!

Just to explain are you sustaining that because I can read (in many RFC)
the following:
"Copyright (C) The Internet Society (xxxx)"
And, in the same document, terms like "Must" "shall" "Must be" etc.. I
cannot freely use it (the same terms in any different document) as I want?

As example I can use the term "windows" as I want and where I want.

I only must take care of it only (and only if) I talk about a specific
O.S. or Product(s).

And last (but not least) are we a IETF WG made solely of *individuals* or
a lobby of employes of some corporation claiming some vague "wapor IP" on
some product/document/implementation?

This is what made me sad!

Remo Tabanelli