Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Mon, 18 July 2011 16:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:30:40 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Peter Sylvester <peter.sylvester@edelweb.fr>
Cc: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Peter Sylvester <
peter.sylvester@edelweb.fr> wrote:

> **
> Hi
>

> On 07/18/2011 02:07 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Peter Sylvester <
> peter.sylvester@edelweb.fr> wrote:
>
>>  The purpose of hash linking schemes is to link time stamps together and
>> to be able to verify them without the need of any cryptographic key
>> which have the tendency to have their secrecy evaporate.
>>

>  Its not the secrecy that worries me, its the ability to state with
> confidence that the TSA will be around after the commercial incentive is
> gone.
>
> Do you mean by 'staying around':
>   - being able to issue time stamps
>   - being able to ensure that no one can create a correct timestamp (in the
> past)
>     because no one ensure that the TSA key was destroyed.
>  -  having some means to ask someone whether a given time stamp was
>     really created 10 years ago (by some TSA).
>  - ...

I mean we can't depend on them being around in 100 or 1000 years time. We do
depend on paper being around that long.

 Its pretty easy to build a business case to support a registry of digital
> signatures on mortgage notes to last 30-50 odd years. There is a lot of
> money at stake and there will always be someone collecting on the note.
>
> these signature are less important than some actual money transfer that is
> done?

Yes, the question of who owes money to whom is pretty piffling in the long
run of events. nobody will care in 100 years time.

The question of who wrote the protocols of the elders of Zion, the Zinoviev
letter, etc, those are rather more important.

He who controls the past controls the present and he who controls the
present controls the future. Falsification of historical records is a social
issue and requires social infrastructure.

Photoshop forgeries are becoming better and better. But the real danger is
that we have now reached the point where genuine evidence is dismissed as
photoshoped.

 Print is dead. In 100 years time nobody will be printing books other than
> for religious or sentimental reasons. People can argue about whether that
> should happen but it is very clear that it will happen.
>
> I avoid predicting things, especially those in the future. :-)

Do you want the future of history to depend on the survival of print?

 A couple of years ago GM went bankrupt. A couple of weeks ago the worlds
> largest circulation tabloid went out of business despite robust profits. How
> can we say with confidence that a TSA is going to be around in 100 years
> time?
>
> What confidence do you need for a TSA?
>
> If I read RFC 3161, ....

If money is involved, it is an easy problem.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/