Re: [ltans] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-07.txt

"Denis Pinkas"<denis.pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 13 September 2010 15:47 UTC

From: Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
To: ltans <ltans@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:48:05 +0200
Subject: Re: [ltans] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-07.txt

This is a late response.
Comments on draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-07

1) The abstract from this draft states:

   In many scenarios, users must be able to demonstrate the (time)
   existence, integrity and validity of data including signed data for
   long or undetermined period of time. This document specifies XML
   syntax and processing rules for creating evidence for long-term non-
   repudiation of existence of data.

The abstract from RFC 4998, which is very similar, states:

   In many scenarios, users must be able prove the existence and
   integrity of data, including digitally signed data, in a common and
   reproducible way over a long and possibly undetermined period of
   time.  This document specifies the syntax and processing of an
   Evidence Record, a structure designed to support long-term non-
   repudiation of existence of data.

Then an additional sentence in the draft states:

ERS-XML incorporates alternative syntax and processing rules to ASN.1 ERS syntax
by using XML language.

The basic question is why an addendum has not been added to RFC 4998 to include
an XML syntax, equivalent to the ASN.1.

Some explanations are given on page 7 are not convincing:

   Due to the differences in XML processing rules and other
   characteristics of XML language, XMLERS does not present a direct
   transformation of ERS in ASN.1 syntax. The XMLERS syntax is based on
   different processing rules as defined in [RFC4998] and it does not
   support for example import of ASN.1 values in XML tags. Creating
   Evidence Records in XML syntax must follow the steps as defined in
   this draft. XMLERS is a standalone draft and is based on [RFC4998]
   conceptually only.

The text omits to highlight what the differences are.

For example, ERS states:

   The data (e.g. certificates, Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs), or
   Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) responses) needed to verify
   the timestamp MUST be preserved, and SHOULD be stored in the
   timestamp itself unless this causes unnecessary duplication.

While the draft states:

   An ATS contains a Time-Stamp Token and optionally other useful
   data for Time-Stamp validation, e.g. certificates, CRLs or OCSP

In one case CRLs should be part of the TST, while in the other case it should be
external to the TST.

Section 1.1 should be revised to mention the differences with a rational about them.

2) Page 43 states:

   A generic solution for automatic interpretation of security suitability
   policies in electronic form is not the subject of this specification.

It is a copy and paste of the same text which existed in RFC 4998.

However, this document omits to take into consideration RFC 5698 which has been issued
in November 2009 (Data Structure for the Security Suitability of Cryptographic Algorithms
- DSSC) and which respond to the problem raised.

While it is normal that the concept was not supported in August 2007 when ERS was published,
it is abnormal that the problems highlighted in RFC 5698 are not covered by this draft. In order to
demonstrate that an algorithm was not weak, it is useful to include a data structure that lists the
weak algorithms at a given point of time. This is what RFC 5698 allows.

In any case, the text from section 7 (page 43) needs to be updated.

3) The most important concern is the following one : there is no rule in the document to explain
how to really verify a given ERS-XML structure. Which root keys need to be used to verify one structure ?
Which rules to apply to verify an ERS-XML data structure that is 30 years old ? The notion of multiple
validation policies should be supported, since validation policies that will exist 30 years from now are still unknown.

Having a data structure is fine, but it is insufficient to allow interoperability.

The data structure should be able to reference the validation policy used at each TST addition.
The current data structure is unable to support  the verification of an ERS-XML data structure that is 30 years old.

Unless verification rules are explained in detail, this document will not achieve its goal and will not be practically usable.

4) The text omits to consider how to deal with the risk of TSU key compromission and what to do if a given
TSU key has been compromised.

 Denis