[ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Thu, 14 July 2011 19:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:35:23 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: ltans@ietf.org
Subject: [ltans] Harber and Stornetta expiry

I understand that LTANS is winding down, are any people interested in
discussing opportunities in the wake of the above expiry?

As I see it the advantage to the linked digest option is that it can be used
to prevent default by TSAs and to provide robustness in the case that a TSA
should fail. That is of course inevitable when looking at keeping records
for centuries.

In particular I think there is an opportunity here for a scheme where
documents were fixed with relation to two timelines. The document itself
would be fixed relative to a short term timeline maintained by a chosen TSA.
the TSA timeline would then be periodically (e.g. every hour) be fixed
relative to a meta timeline kept across multiple TSAs.

Forging the long term archive would require a massive multi-party default.
If we can make the number of parties number in the millions default becomes
inconceivable.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/