Re: [ltans] WG Action: Conclusion of Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (ltans)

todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Wed, 20 July 2011 14:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 07:49:05 -0700
From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: ltans@ietf.org, chair@IETF.org
Subject: Re: [ltans] WG Action: Conclusion of Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (ltans)

On 7/19/2011 6:28 PM, IESG Secretary wrote:
> The Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (ltans) working group in the
> Security Area has concluded. The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner
> and Stephen Farrell.
So there is actually no Notary's process in any of this code. No
Notarial signing ceremony and more importantly no Notarial Organization
as a sponsor... As such - and since the term NOTORIAL pertains to a
legal standing, i.e. as in 'from an act from a commissioned Notary
Public" - something this protocol has none of the representing it as a
replacement or extension of a commissioned Notary Public is a form of
fraud.

No I am not kidding... If you dont believe me look at California's
Apostilles Page for certifications issued under the Notary's Commission
to perform signings. What you will see is that a Notary is similar to
the term Judge, when used in an official context it applies to a person
appointed under the Notarial commission of the issuing State or Entity.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/authentication.htm which of course
are further controlled under the International Definition of the
Apostilles under the Hague Convention - read it at
http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=text.display&tid=37

The real issue here (and the sad one) is how much human effort went into
this effort after the WG members were made aware of these legal issues
with their work, and how far from the mark based on a simple reading of
these documents that the WG ultimately landed.

Todd Glassey