Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

Bill Russell <brussell@pericore.com> Tue, 15 September 2009 17:52 UTC

From: Bill Russell <brussell@pericore.com>
To: "remo@t-bizcom.com" <remo@t-bizcom.com>, Todd Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:53:14 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ietf-ltans@imc.org" <ietf-ltans@imc.org>
Subject: Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

Hi Todd & Remo,

If the term Proof is in fact copyrighted, I would guess that any legal rights were lost long ago by failing to enforce it properly, as it is used by multiple companies and with multiple products. That notwithstanding, the emphasis of my email was not on copyrighted terminology, but rather on the fact that the term might be confused in usage. Carl's comment is perhaps the more important though, does this topic even warrant discussion as part of this group? I apologize for any confusion I may have introduced by my email, as I was merely trying to suggest that the term is overloaded. I think your email continues to make the point that it is in fact not the best for this group to incorporate.

Take care,
Bill