Re: [ltans] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-07.txt

"Aljosa Jerman Blazic" <aljosa@setcce.si> Sat, 25 September 2010 13:19 UTC

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:19:38 +0200
From: Aljosa Jerman Blazic <aljosa@setcce.si>
To: ltans <ltans@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ltans] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-07.txt

Denis, Tobias

It took me a while to get back to XMLERS and my answers are in line.

I support Tobias comments as the benefit of expanding ASN.1 recommendation with additional XML based structure and processing rules would make the whole RFC unreadable. The intention of separate specifications is to have one's decision on implementation type, i.e. ASN.1 vs XML. Section 1.1. can be further revised to support these facts.

> [Denis] I am requesting to add further information to section 1.1. so
> that people may understand better why there has been no translation of
> the ASN.1 into XML.
>
> 		  2) Page 43 states:
>
> 		   A generic solution for automatic interpretation of
> security suitability
> 		   policies in electronic form is not the subject of this
> specification.
>
> 		It is a copy and paste of the same text which existed in
> RFC 4998.
>
> 		However, this document omits to take into consideration RFC
> 5698 which has been issued
> 		in November 2009 (Data Structure for the Security
> Suitability of Cryptographic Algorithms
> 		- DSSC) and which respond to the problem raised.
>
> 		While it is normal that the concept was not supported in
> August 2007 when ERS was published,
> 		it is abnormal that the problems highlighted in RFC 5698
> are not covered by this draft. In order to
> 		demonstrate that an algorithm was not weak, it is useful to
> include a data structure that lists the
> 		weak algorithms at a given point of time. This is what RFC
> 5698 allows.
>
> 		In any case, the text from section 7 (page 43) needs to be
> updated.
>

> 	Thank you, I missed that. I agree. We definitely should refer to
> RFC5698 as a method that may be used and add it to the informative
> references.
>

> [Denis] In fact , I am asking more that simply making a reference to
> RFC 5698, but to be able to include some structures defined in RFC 5698
> into XMLERS. RFC 5698 should then be in the normative references.

Point taken.

> 		3) The most important concern is the following one : there
> is no rule in the document to explain
> 		how to really verify a given ERS-XML structure. Which root
> keys need to be used to verify one structure ?
> 		Which rules to apply to verify an ERS-XML data structure
> that is 30 years old ? The notion of multiple
> 		validation policies should be supported, since validation
> policies that will exist 30 years from now are still unknown.
>
> 		Having a data structure is fine, but it is insufficient to
> allow interoperability.
>
> 		The data structure should be able to reference the
> validation policy used at each TST addition.
> 		The current data structure is unable to support  the
> verification of an ERS-XML data structure that is 30 years old.
>
> 		Unless verification rules are explained in detail, this
> document will not achieve its goal and will not be practically usable.
>

> 	Verification rules may be different for different legislation and
> countries and as you pointed out may even evolve over time.
> 	A problem true for all signatures (be it certs, timestamps, etc.)
> and not for XMLERS alone required to determine.
> 	The draft (as with ERS) is based on the fact that all reasonable
> validation data is stored and preserved
> 	(e.g. by also using XMLERS/ERS or integrating into the timestamp
> structures) and is validated based on the policy
> 	at the time of the validation in the future. So a different
> validation policy at each TST addition is not significant for the
> future validation.
>
> [Denis] We are in strong disagreement here.
>
> Let us use a example. A TST is renewed every 10 years.
>
> After ten years, I apply what a would call an "algorithm maintenance
> policy" and I reference the OID/URN
> from that policy before applying new TST, a certification path and CRLs
> captured at that time which demonstrate
> that the TSU certificate from the earlier TST has not been revoked.
>
> In order to verify the structure, I first look at the OID/URN from the
> "algorithm maintenance policy" and if I find it acceptable,
> I apply the rules of the policy.
>
> Ten years later, I choose another "algorithm maintenance policy" and I
> reference the OID/URN
> from that policy before applying new TST, a certification path and CRLs
> captured at that time which demonstrate
> that the TSU certificate from the earlier TST has not been revoked.
>
> In order to verify the structure, I first look at the OID/URN from
> inner "algorithm maintenance policy" and if I find it acceptable,
> I apply the rules of the policy. Then I look at the OID/URN from outer
> "algorithm maintenance policy" and if I find it acceptable,
> I apply the rules of the policy.
>
> There is not a global verification, but a verification that is
> different at each step.
>
> The implication is to add to the current structure a new field to
> indicate the OID/URN of the "algorithm maintenance policy"
> that has been used for that step.

If I understand your comments correctly, what you are referring to is audit trail on the decision making process of time stamp renewal. Policy/policies inclusion reminds me on the AESs and their references to singing policies and I am not really sure whether the basic ERs structure (ASN.1 or XML) is to support that. However I do agree this is a very important issue but it brings us to a crossroad of policies that may be part of the ERS structure. For example, the ERS system might operate per different policies, also the organizational perspective of the evidence system may have implication on generation and maintenance of preservation evidences (which again might be a sub-element of much broader electronic data preservation policies).

> Note: if we add this information to XMLERS, it would make sense to do
> the same for ERS.
>
> 	So a different validation policy at each TST addition is not
> significant for the future validation. Even if it might be interesting,
> 	the key decision making unit will be the validation at the future
> point (e.g. in 30 years) and not what policies the system
> 	might have found appropriate at the time of timestamp renewals.
>
> 	On a personal note: I started an individual draft
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ltans-validate/ about
> validation
> 	and necessary data. It is still very early stage work in progress
> (as I wanted to wait for XMLERS to finish first)
> 	and I find the procedures to be probably quite controversial. So
> the draft will not be continued in the LTANS WG
> 	but submitted only as an individual informational ID. (If you
> don't mind, I'd actually like to come back to you on that
> 	and ask you for your input on it once I have refined it in a few
> weeks time)
>
> [Denis] Thank you for the information. Until we solve the previous
> point, it is likely that we will be in disagreement.
>
> However, this illustrates the fact that without addtional information
> on how to use and verify the data structure,
> the current XMLERS draft is not usable in practice (i.e. there is no
> interoperability).

Then this implies to ERS also.

> 		4) The text omits to consider how to deal with the risk of
> TSU key compromission and what to do if a given
> 		TSU key has been compromised.
>
> 	As I understand it, TSU key compromission would lead to
> revocation of its certificate and loss of validity.
> 	The draft talks about that, i.e. a Time-stamp renewal.
>
> 	However note, as such timestamp renewal would have to be done
> timely (and actually before TS looses its validity,
> 	there can be problems with cases of late discoveries of such TSU
> compromissions. With this possibility in mind
> 	it is recommended to use two redundant XMLERS with timestamps
> from different timestamp authorities.
> 	(see section 7 Security Considerations)
>
> 	As the detailed valuation of such events and legal requirements
> may vary by country, it seemed prudent to describe things
> 	up to the current level but not further.
>
> [Denis] As the document does not sufficiently deal with the
> verification of the data structure, the case of TSU compromission
> is not sufficiently addressed.
>
> In short, if when applying a new TST, the TSU certificate is marked as
> revoked, this is not a problem if the revocation reason
> is anything else than "compromise".
>
> If the revocation reason is "compromise", then the text should say what
> to do (or what should have been done earlier).

I can't agree here. Consequences of revocation event (whatever the reason) might vary according to policies (even legislation) and therefore I see no reason to go into details. As Tobias explained, the draft addresses the problem of loosing validity of TST in general (or TSU for whatever reason) and proposes general measures to avoid that. TSA redundancy is one of the solutions which, however, only reduces the risk of evidences decomposition in the future. One can consider other countermeasures, but the draft is not there to address all of them.

Aljosa