Re: [Ltru] Extended language tags

John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> Fri, 05 October 2007 13:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:09:06 -0400
To: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Extended language tags
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

Randy Presuhn scripsit:

> (1) [registry and extlang tag]
> (2) [registry only]
> (3) [neither]

AFAIK no one is advocating for case 3; the split is between cases 1 and 2.

> At this moment, the discussion seems to favor (1), but it's clear that
> we need to work through what we'd want do to the matching specification
> before we could declare consensus on this.  If we find that an update
> to the matching specification is necessary, we'll need to ask our AD
> to get the IESG to add it to our charter.

Based on Mark's and Addison's evidence (as discussed in the telcons),
I propose that a new subsection be added to Section 3 of 4647,
explaining how to do matching in the presence of extlang tags (case 1)
or Macrolanguage headers (case 2).

The trouble with directly using the 4647 algorithms is that they will
fall back poorly in case 1, because all other types of subtags will
have been disregarded before the conversion from zh-yue to zh is made.
In case 2, of course, the algorithms will not fall back at all, unless
by a private extension.

Therefore, matchers SHOULD, given a range with a 'yue' language subtag
(case 1), or 'zh-yue' language and extlang subtags (case 2), add to
the range list the corresponding range with the macrolanguage 'zh'.
Likewise, a matcher given a range with a language subtag of 'nn' SHOULD
add to the range list the corresponding range with the macrolanguage
'no', provided the LSR is available.

All this is orthogonal to the question of representation.  I favor 1
over 2 simply because nothing in 4647 MUSTard requires the availability
of the registry, and I'd like to see it stay that way.  (Currently,
matchers are "encouraged", a non-MUSTard term, to use the registry for
canonicalization, and people who create language ranges (as opposed to
matchers) SHOULD NOT include suppressed scripts.)

--
The experiences of the past show                John Cowan
that there has always been a discrepancy        cowan@ccil.org