RE: [Ltru] Fallback vs. Macrolanguage? (was: John Cowan throws in...)

"Don Osborn" <dzo@bisharat.net> Thu, 29 November 2007 17:10 UTC

From: Don Osborn <dzo@bisharat.net>
To: 'Addison Phillips' <addison@yahoo-inc.com>, 'John Cowan' <cowan@ccil.org>
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Fallback vs. Macrolanguage? (was: John Cowan throws in...)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:09:58 -0500
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

Some macrolanguage headings might be used also for locales and for describing orthographies (which in Africa often are defined by country and not by categories in ISO 639). How would the draft affect such cases? So in the case of Fula, one would probably be talking about ff-SN, ff-NE, etc., for at least some purposes, without resort to the alpha-3 codes introduced in part 3.

(Sorry I have not been tracking this as closely as I would like to have.)

Don