Re: [Ltru] Serbo-Croatian Deprecations and Variants

Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> Mon, 06 August 2007 20:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:22:20 -0700
From: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
To: Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Serbo-Croatian Deprecations and Variants
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com wrote:

> What should I do with films that have been categorized as Serbo-Croatian
> in the past?

Nothing? Presumably these were also associated with the defunct region
'YU' (also deprecated, but legal).

> The language isn't suddenly different because the political
> climate changed since the films were first made. The distinction between
> Serbian and Croatian is not particularly significant in audio works, so we
> may not find it useful (from a business perspective) to do the research to
> make guesses as to whether any given film is more Serbian or Croatian. I
> am not talking about textual forms of the language -- only audio uses.

Whether you change it for cultural, political, or otherwise-motivated
reasons is up to you. The original tags remain (and have always
remained) valid. Here's the record in the registry:

%%
Type: language
Subtag: sh
Added: 2005-10-16
Deprecated: 2000-02-18
%%

> If I wish to maintain classifications previously made against this
> deprecated language that is now back in business in 639-3, would I extend
> the deprecated 639-1 prefix and include the 639-3 code; use one of the
> deprecated 639-2 codes; or just use the new 639-3 code alone? Which of
> these options is most "wise"?

Actually, Serbo-Croatian has never been "out of business". It is
deprecated, but not illegal.

The proposal is that Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, and Serbo-Croatian are
all on the "same level" (as primary language subtags). The fact that
there is a macrolangauge mapping from the three former to the latter is
not important in language *tagging*, although it might be useful in your
applications (for the reasons you give). None of the proposals for
extlang would alter this situation (for stability reasons).

Addison

--
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.