[Ltru] MUSTard in the IANA section

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Sat, 15 December 2007 07:10 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:54:19 -0800
Subject: [Ltru] MUSTard in the IANA section

I think we all recognize and appreciate that IANA performs a valuable
service for the language tagging community, and I'm sure none of us feel
it would be appropriate to order them around like farm animals.

At the same time, we understand that BCP 47 demands certain duties of
the Reviewer, the ietf-languages list, and IANA, such that if these
duties are not performed, some or all of the maintenance process may
break down.  For example, if the Reviewer does not issue a verdict on
proposed subtags in a timely manner, or if IANA delays the release of a
revised Registry or makes errors in doing so, some of the promises made
by BCP 47 to producers and consumers of language tags are not kept.

Consequently, it seems reasonable to me to use RFC 2119 "MUST" in some
of these requirements.  We are not saying that if IANA does not do this
or that, we will chop off their hands, but we are stating the fact that
it will adversely affect some part of the process.

I don't claim to be an RFC 2119 lawyer or historian by any stretch, so
if there is some longstanding tradition that RFC 2119 "MUST" is
appropriate only for computers and demeaning when applied to humans,
then I apologize and stand corrected.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell