Re: [Ltru] Updated draft-4646bis...

"Mark Davis" <mark.davis@icu-project.org> Tue, 17 July 2007 18:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:21:59 -0700
From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
To: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Updated draft-4646bis...
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

I don't see the following in the text, although I believe there was rough
consensus. You have something there, but the language is not nearly forceful
enough).

The 'mis' (Uncoded) primary language subtag SHOULD NOT be used. According to
ISO 639, it is used to identify linguistic content whose language is known
but which does not *currently* have a corresponding subtag. It is thus
intrinsically unstable -- the addition of other codes in the future can
render its application invalid at any point without any warning -- and hence
incompatible with the stability goals of BCP 47. It is thus always
preferable to use other subtags: either "und" or -- with prior agreement --
private use subtags.

See:

date
Jun 16, 2007 8:29 AM
subject
Suggested language for "mis" (Re: [Ltru] RE: ISO 639-2 decision: "mis")

Mark

On 7/17/07, Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have just completed and posted my edits to draft-07. I have not yet
> submitted them to the ID Editor... as Martin points out, the integer
> burning forge is currently on hiatus, pending IETF #69.
>
> However, the edits are all in place and can be used to further the
> discussion. Note that I have not incorporated the proposed text related
> to Macrolanguage. However I have incorporated my proposed UTF-8 changes.
>
> A diff from draft-06 can be accessed here:
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/2o7t6m
>
> The documents posted are:
>
>    http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-07.html
>    http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-07.txt
>    http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-07.xml
>
> Happy commenting.
>
> Addison
>
> --
> Addison Phillips
> Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
> Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG
>
> Internationalization is an architecture.
> It is not a feature.

Mark