RE: [Ltru] Re: Swiss German and Alsatian

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Sat, 08 December 2007 17:36 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:36:12 -0800
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Swiss German and Alsatian
acceptlanguage: en-US

[very much off topic]

> From: Nicolas Krebs [mailto:nicolas1.krebs3@netcourrier.com]

[snip]
> >The regular procedure is described here and alsatian is mentioned as
> >an example :-)
> >
> >http://www.langtag.net/register-new-subtag.html
> >

> You could add a ยง in this document saying that mail to
> may help to improve the request, by example to change
> prefix for alsacian from de to gsw (de is German language,
> not germanic languages).
>
> I am thinking at this beacause gsw-alsacian, but in fact it
> can be done with valencian too (ca-valencian is better than
> es-valencian).

It's not clear to me what it is you want.

Mail to the ietf-languages list is required for *any* request to make a change in the contents of the LSR (other than changes in the format and structure of the registry). The page on langtag.net explains that.

There is no "alsacian" subtag, so a request to change its prefix makes no sense.

The LSR entry for Valencian already indicates it should be used with ca and not with es:

<quote>
Type: variant
Subtag: valencia
Added: 2007-03-06
Prefix: ca
Comments: Variety spoken in the "Comunidad Valenciana" region of Spain,
  where it is co-official with Spanish.
</quote>

If you want to see a variant subtag 'alsacian', you need to submit a registration proposal for it on the ietf-languages list. If you want to ensure that that subtag is used with gsw and not with de (which definitely would be appropriate), then the proposal should list gsw as the prefix for the subtag.

If you want the entry for gsw in the LSR to include a comment saying that it should be used for Alsatian, then submit a proposal to the ietf-languages list for that change.

If you want ISO 639 to make a change in the names listed for gsw, submit a request to one of the RAs (LOC or SIL).

NOTE: Requesting any of the above are NOT on topic for this list (LTRU); they would be on topic for the ietf-languages list.

Peter