Re: [Ltru] [apps-discuss] Fwd: Defining a CBOR tag for RFC 5646 Language Tags

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Fri, 16 May 2014 09:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:17:57 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>, Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] [apps-discuss] Fwd: Defining a CBOR tag for RFC 5646 Language Tags

On 2014/05/16 00:39, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland dot net> wrote:
>
>> Of course, an invalid-UTF-8 based proposal simply means that it's no
>> longer UTF-8 per-se, and so needs itself to be tagged differently.

But this is highly counter-productive. US computer and Internet
technology was so successful among else because everything was ASCII. We
are finally getting close to a place where (almost) everything is UTF-8.
Some of us already in 1997 (or even earlier) knew that that was the
direction to go. UTF-8 "variants" would have killed a lot of the
advantages of moving towards UTF-8.

>> Other than that, I don't see it's a bad idea from a technical
>> standpoint. The use of the word "invalid" probably scares people, but
>> I note that's really a shorthand for "not backwards compatible by
>> existing UTF-8 processors".

It was not such a bad idea on the level of "let's use a screw to hold
these two pieces of metal together". I was a very bad idea because much
of technological (prospect of) success is or has to be measured not by
how many good pieces of technology you have (how many different sizes of
screws), but how *few* of them you have.

> The proposal from 1997 ("MLSF") did call it an extra layer on top of
> UTF-8, and included lots of health warnings that it was not really
> UTF-8.

Only after quite a bit of pressure on the authors (including from me).
See http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-acap-mlsf-01.txt.

> That didn't remove the danger, though, because it looked so much
> like UTF-8. John's response about decoders was spot-on.

It was an extremely ugly chameleon mixing character encoding with
higher-level information, messing around with the structural cleanness
and heuristic detectability of UTF-8, and inviting all kinds of other
crazy cludges for other "UTF-8-but-not-quite" chimeras.

>> Exactly the same caveats apply to Plane 14 tagging, mind, and
>> moreover, we could invent our own - indeed, that's what we're doing by
>> having these arrays of (tag, string) tuples.

Plane 14 language tags are strictly within UTF-8 and also of course work
with UTF-16. They are therefore quite a bit less bad than MLSF, but
still bad enough.

> As Mark knows, I never bought into the deprecation argument about how
> evil Plane 14 tag characters are. Handling them correctly just isn't
> that difficult.

There are hundreds of ideas that look "not that difficult" to implement.
But usually, everything turns out to be more difficult than estimated,
and what's more important, the combinations of the different ideas turn
out to be the killer.

In some ways, plane 14 language tags were born dead. Putting them in
plane 14 was an explicit decision that sent a clear message that there
was no expectation that they would or should be used frequently.

> For CBOR, you may be better off with the tag/string
> tuples; the tags in that case are much easier to see and don't need to
> be stripped from the string for display or comparison. But if this
> "tagged text" model is too far out of step with the CBOR/JSON way of
> thinking, Plane 14 is out there.

As far as I understand, the tagged text model should work well, about as
well as lang/xml:lang attributes for HTML and XML.

Regards,   Martin.