Re: [Ltru] Proposed -t0- subtag

"Broome, Karen" <Karen.Broome@am.sony.com> Mon, 25 July 2011 18:09 UTC

From: "Broome, Karen" <Karen.Broome@am.sony.com>
To: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>, "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:09:04 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Proposed -t0- subtag

Well, I had considered registering a singleton on behalf of the Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers -- the xml:lang compliant tags are now specified in many, if not most, new industry standards. (Things are certainly still in transition from older ISO 639 classifications.) But SMPTE might benefit from more motion picture specific values (possible values: original, dubbed, captioned, subtitled, audio description).

But I also wonder about the general utility of this and hadn't really broached the subject of "tone" or had an immediate need for something like that. It's interesting, but I think maybe it goes beyond language identification into aspects of the delivery and content. Fun stuff to work on, but not sure I need it now. But I think "spoken" and "written" are two distinctions that definitely help identify the "language". I realize this is a somewhat controversial belief.

Regards,

Karen Broome