RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Mon, 08 October 2007 08:11 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:10:46 -0700
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)
acceptlanguage: en-US

From: Addison Phillips [mailto:addison@yahoo-inc.com]

>>         * I don't think the Breton example applies...

> I agree that this fallback case is valid as a use-case for language
> priority lists, but not for language tags. But I think this misses the
> point. It is quoted without Mark's preamble, in which he posits Breton
> as a sublanguage of Welsh. Mark is using it more as a parable to
> illustrate the extlang case, not as an example-in-fact.
>
> Let me rephrase Mark's Breton case: when you want Chippewa, any old
> Ojibwa (its macrolanguage), which might be a language such as Ottawa,
> will not do.

In that case, your language-range would be "(oji-)ciw"; resources might be tagged "oji" or "(oji-)ciw". The request should match "(oji-)ciw" if availale; otherwise, "oji" may be matched -- which may or may not be acceptable.

But note: you get the potential of an unacceptable result whether "oji-ciw" is used or "ciw" is used and the association between this an "oji" is recorded in the registry. Either way, a connection is made between macrolanguage and encompassed language -- whether in the tag or in the registry.

The claim is valid that (i) some macrolanguages have MLVs while others do not, and (ii) that a lookup match in the latter cases a lookup match using the macrolanguage could result in an unacceptable / unintelligible.

*But*, these facts do not differentiate between the extlang vs. macrolanguage field proposals.

Peter