Re: [Ltru] Re: Test suite for language tags?

John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> Tue, 29 August 2006 20:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:40:05 -0400
To: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Test suite for language tags?
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

Addison Phillips scripsit:

> If the list changes, that would be bad. Ideally, with a couple of
> registrations and some deprecations, the list will entirely be formed of
> tags that have no future, allowing a list to be, actually, a Good Thing
> (not just "here they are", but also "don't use these any more, even
> though they remain valid").

Here's my conclusions about each of the 34:

Tag                     Type            Action                  Preferred value
===                     ====            ======                  ===============
art-lojban              Broken          Already deprecated      jbo
cel-gaulish             Broken          Deprecated in 3066ter
en-boont                Regular         Redundant in 3066bis
en-GB-oed               Irregular       Preserved
en-scouse               Regular         Redundant in 3066bis
i-ami                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   ami
i-bnn                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   bnn
i-default               Irregular       Preserved
i-enochian              Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   not known
i-hak                   Irregular       Already deprecated      zh-hakka
i-klingon               Irregular       Already deprecated      tlh
i-lux                   Irregular       Already deprecated      lb
i-mingo                 Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   not known
i-navajo                Irregular       Already deprecated      nv
i-pwn                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   pwn
i-tao                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   tao
i-tay                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   tal
i-tsu                   Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   tsu
no-bok                  Broken          Already deprecated      nb
no-nyn                  Broken          Already deprecated      nn
sgn-BE-fr               Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   not known
sgn-BE-nl               Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   not known
sgn-CH-de               Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   sgn-sgg
zh-cmn                  Regular         Redundant in 3066ter
zh-cmn-Hans             Regular         Redundant in 3066ter
zh-cmn-Hant             Regular         Redundant in 3066ter
zh-gan                  Regular         Redundant in 3066ter
zh-guoyu                Irregular       Already deprecated      zh-cmn
zh-hakka                Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   zh-hak
zh-min                  Broken          Deprecated in 3066ter
zh-min-nan              Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   zh-nan
zh-wuu                  Regular         Redundant in 3066ter
zh-xiang                Irregular       Deprecated in 3066ter   zh-hsn
zh-yue                  Regular         Redundant in 3066ter

A Regular tag is one that is both syntactically and semantically regular;
a Broken tag is one that is syntactically regular but semantically
irregular (it does not mean what it appears to mean); an Irregular tag
is one that is syntactically irregular.

So 8 tags will be changed to redundant in the RFC 3066ter regime; of
the remaining 24, all will be deprecated except i-default and en-GB-oed.

Possible discrepancies:

a) Nothing in 639-3 seems to correspond directly to i-mingo or i-enochian.

b) We may decide not to deprecate cel-gaulish or zh-min, which are sort
of mini-macrolanguages.

c) The split between sgn-BE-fr and sgn-BE-nl seems to be finer than
639-3 recognizes; we may need variant subtags to handle these.

--
As you read this, I don't want you to feel      John Cowan
sorry for me, because, I believe everyone       cowan@ccil.org