[Ltru] Frank's comments (was: Re: proto-draft-10)

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Tue, 04 December 2007 05:57 UTC

From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: "LTRU Working Group" <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 21:57:02 -0800
Subject: [Ltru] Frank's comments (was: Re: proto-draft-10)

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> I also note that it still contains the fantasy island codes,
> Chairs, please produce the consensus for this modification
> in -09.

I'd really like the chairs to declare consensus on a number of topics,
because otherwise this happens: old decisions and non-decisions are
revisited over and over again.

Chairs: *do* we have consensus for adding the exceptionally reserved
3166 codes?  I'm not even asking any more for my position to be heard; I
just want to know what the decision is.

> It still contains "Latin transliterations of descriptions",
> without saying what Latin is,

Do we need to provide a definition of the Latin script?

> or why the subtag review list
> should create "transliterations" when the source standard
> didn't bother for whatever reasons.

The source (ISO) standards will always provide Latin-script
descriptions.  It's the independently registered subtags that need to
have this specified.  We simply need to make sure we don't register
equivalent.

Personally I'm satisfied with the existing wording, because it does not
go any farther than 4646 in recommending ASCII-only transcriptions.
That was a popular thing to request a year or so ago.  Hopefully the
advent of the UTF-8 Registry will put that to an end.

> It still contains the unused 5*8ALPHA "registered languages"
> instead of reviving the good tradition of i-whatever tags
> for this in the times of 639-3 likely unnecessary loophole.

I don't believe there is any popular sympathy, let alone consensus, to
change this.  I wonder why you would call out Addison for not changing
it.

> As a consequence of not removing the extlang syntax it still
> contains the answer 42 instead of a much more MIME friendly
> limit 30 (or 31 for a 639-6 language).

You guys can beat the maximum-theoretical-tag-length issue into the
ground if you wish.  I'll just be happy if implementers would stop
getting confused in the presence of a script subtag.

> Allegedly it's unclear that a subtag can be "undrepecated"
> if say (in theory) ISO 3166-1 revives FX.  Or rather Doug
> said that it's clearly not allowed, IMO that would be a bug.

I think it's extremely clear in 4646.  Whether that's a bug is another
question, one I think deserves serious discussion.  But we should be
careful about breaking our own stability promises, and refusing to
un-deprecate a subtag was a stability promise.

> It still allows "generic" variants without prefix, they're
> known to be cumbersome (fonipa + fonupa).

I don't see how they're "cumbersome."  They serve the purpose they were
meant to serve: too many languages can be, and are, written in IPA to
make it worthwhile to enumerate them all.

In any case, like removing the registered languages, I haven't seen no
popular support for changing this.  (Another case where a declaration of
consensus would be useful.)

Later:

> There are no registered languages, so what's the point of
> allowing the full set of BCP 47 features for them ?  For
> cases like i-default I don't miss any default-Hant-fonupa
> opportunity.

You're probably more likely to see a 5- to 8-letter registered language
subtag before you see an extension.  The barriers to creating an
extension are just too high.

> As explained earlier  5*8( ALPHA )  limits implementation
> freedom if there would be ever a variant and a language
> using the same subtag.

John Cowan replied to this:

> Rules for the first subtag don't apply to later subtags, period.
> The fact that you'd like them all to be unique doesn't make it so.

Exactly; they belong to different namespaces.

Or, to provide a wholly unnecessary analogy:  I work in an open office
environment (no petitions, please; I'm talking physical offices), and as
it turns out, I'm the only Doug in my building.  This makes certain
petty operations a bit simpler: my co-workers can talk unambiguously
about "Doug" without using, or even knowing, my surname, and when
someone calls out "Doug" I can look up right away, confident in the
knowledge that they mean me.  But this is no justification for my
company to refuse to hire other, well-qualified Dougs.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell