Re: [Ltru] Punjabi

<sukhjinder_sidhu@hotmail.com> Wed, 14 March 2007 23:20 UTC

From: sukhjinder_sidhu@hotmail.com
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Punjabi
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:57:54 -0000
Cc: rick@unicode.org, Nayyara Karamat <nayyara.karamat@nu.edu.pk>, "Sarmad Hussain, Dr." <sarmad.hussain@nu.edu.pk>, iso639-2@loc.gov, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, Abbas Malik <abbas.malik@gmail.com>, iso639-3@sil.org

> The current plan is to map "Eastern Panjabi" onto "Panjabi", and all
> the others onto "Lahnda".  It sounds like you are proposing to map
> both "Eastern Panjabi" and "Western Panjabi" onto "Panjabi"
> and the others onto "Lahnda".  Is that correct?

No, I'm saying that a significant number (i.e. millions) of people speak
"Eastern" Punjabi in Pakistan.  The only major difference between this
spoken language and that spoken in Indian Punjab is the written script (i.e.
Shahmukhi/Gurmukhi).  The sources that say that Western Punjabi and Eastern
Punjabi suddenly stop at the border are simply wrong.  The Maajhi dialect is
centred on the border - leading to significant portions of the population
speaking it on either side.  Hence the need for both 'pa-IN' and 'pa-PK'.

"Grierson [in the Linguistic Survey of India] defined Western Punjabi as
being west of a line running north-south from Montgomery and Gujranwala
districts." (This is directly from Wikipedia, but I was the original
contributor for this in the article. If you wish, I can probably track down
the exact page number for this, but I don't have it at hand at the moment.)
This is well within present day Pakistan, and Lahore alone has nearly seven
million people.

Anyway, that is my take on things.  I would be interested to see what NU
professors/researchers think on this because I've never been to Pakistan so
I could be way off base here.

Regards,
Sukhjinder Sidhu