Re: [Ltru] my technical position on extlang

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Sun, 18 May 2008 08:53 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: 'Martin Duerst' <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:53:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [Ltru] my technical position on extlang
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

I agree with Martin very strongly.

However, I do think that there is a danger that the end user will mistag
'zh-yue' as 'yue' and 'zh-cmn' as 'cmn'; purely from looking at ISO 639-3.
I think that this should be highlighted in the document and that users
should be advised to allow for it; where 'yue' is presented it SHOULD be
converted to 'zh-yue' etc.

It really must be made perfectly clear that 'zh' is only to be used when
referring to Chinese languages as a whole or when the individual language
within 'zh' is unknown.

best regards

Debbie