Re: [Ltru] Fw: I-D Action: draft-falk-transliteration-tags-01.txt

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Tue, 21 June 2011 06:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:39:03 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, court@infiauto.com
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Fw: I-D Action: draft-falk-transliteration-tags-01.txt

Hello Mark, others,

Overall comment:
The idea to reuse language tags to indicate
transliteration/transcription source, and to add some additional tags to
distinguish methods seems to be reasonable and sound.

The description of the structure of the allowed subtags and of the
responsibility split between IETF (this draft) and UTC (UTS 35) looks
quite messy to me, and should be cleaned up. I'd personally prefer that
UTS 35 (or whatever else on the Unicode side) only define the
<mechanism> part (after the m0 subtag).

Detailled comments:

"In addition, it may also be important to
    specify a particular specification for the transformation.": Too
much 'spec' in one sentence.

"For example, if one is transcribing the names of Italian or Russian
    cities on a map for Japanese users, each name will need to be
    transliterated into katakana using rules appropriate for the source
    language and target languages.": "source languages and target language"?

BCP47 required information: The first three paragraphs should move to
the introduction.

"followed by a sequence of subtags that would form a language tag": Here
and in general: Don't use 'would'.

    The structure of 't' subtags is determined by the Unicode CLDR
    Technical Committee, in accordance with the policies and procedures
    in http://www.unicode.org/consortium/tc-procedures.html, and subject
    to the Unicode Consortium Policies on
    http://www.unicode.org/policies/policies.html.

The following paragraph is also difficult to understand. I wouldn't know
exactly what falls on what side. I think one major reason is that we are
treading new ground here, it's the first time we have a singleton
definition that allows reuse of language tags (with a few restrictions)
as well as intends to define its own extensions.

    Changes that can be made by successive versions of LDML [UTS35] by
    the Unicode Consortium without requiring a new RFC include the
    allocation of new subtags for use after the 't' extension.  A new RFC
    would be required for material changes to an existing 't' subtag, or
    an incompatible change to the overall syntactic structure of the 't'
    extension; however, such a change would be contrary to the policies
    of the Unicode Consortium, and thus is not anticipated.

2.1 Summary: There seems to be quite some overlap between the part of
section 2 before the 2.1 heading.

One question I would have as a linguistic researcher is: How much effort
and time is involved in getting a 'mechanism' approved? If such
'mechanisms' are e.g. rejected with arguments like "if we accept it,
then everybody has to implement it" or so, then I would see that as a
problem.

So much for the moment.

Regards,   Martin.