Re: [Ltru] [apps-discuss] Fwd: Defining a CBOR tag for RFC 5646 Language Tags

John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> Thu, 15 May 2014 12:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:06:50 -0400
From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
To: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>
Sender: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] [apps-discuss] Fwd: Defining a CBOR tag for RFC 5646 Language Tags

Dave Cridland scripsit:

> Of course, an invalid-UTF-8 based proposal simply means that it's no
> longer UTF-8 per-se, and so needs itself to be tagged differently.

The whole point of the invalid-UTF-8 was that the less fussy decoders of
the day would quietly drop the hidden information and display the string.
That is much less likely to happen now.

> Exactly the same caveats apply to Plane 14 tagging, mind,

Not so much.  Unicode renderers that don't understand language tags will
not display them (because stuff on plane E is never displayed per its
Unicode properties), or if the renderer doesn't even understand that,
will at worst generate boxes or other "character unknown" glyphs,
often only three of them.

> The main consideration, I think, is what happens when a CBOR processor
> encounters a language-tagged string when it doesn't understand the concept.

Agreed, and if that is a serious problem, Plane E starts to look better.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting