Re: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8

Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Sat, 16 September 2006 09:24 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:03:15 +0900
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, ltru@lists.ietf.org
From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8

At 07:38 06/09/16, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>McDonald, Ira wrote:
>
>> I support changing to unescaped UTF-8 for the registry
>
>I'm opposed.

It would be good to know why.

>> (consistent with the IESG policy in BCP 18 / RFC 2277).
>
>That's about new protocols, not text/plain files like
>RFCs or the LTRU registry.

Yes indeed. This means that Ira's argument is a bit weak,
but does not give an argument for not using UTF-8.

>> if we move to XML with IANA concurrence, we'll get UTF-8
>> anyway.
>
>Several issues here:  Where does the "IANA will convert
>everything to XML" rumour come from?  I saw no discussion
>about this on the XML-dir list.  Numerous RFCs define
>registries with text/plain registration templates, if
>those templates are anything it's a kind of "record-jar".
>
>IANA can't simply reformat all their registries when they
>feel like it.

As a co-chair, I feel that this is rather irrelevant:
Our charter's timeline is short, and any attempt by
IANA to convert to 'all-XML' will be a long-time effort,
if it is done. If somebody wants to argue for XML, they
should do so based on it's merits.

As a technical contributor, I think that UTF-8 is the right
way to go, but otherwise, we should keep the format as is.
Looking at something like Bokm&#xE5;l is just plain annoying.
I'm sure the logistic problems with IANA can be sorted out
(e.g. using attachments).

As for using compression, this can be done mostly transparently.
browsers tell servers what encodings they support, e.g. like so:
Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, identity, *;q=0
The server can be configured to send the appropriatly encoded
version of the file.

Regards,    Martin.