RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)

Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com Wed, 10 October 2007 19:02 UTC

To: "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Extended language tags (long reply)
From: Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:57:15 -0700
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Router on USMAIL02/SVR/SPE(Release 6.5.5FP1|April 11, 2006) at 10/10/2007 11:57:15, Serialize complete at 10/10/2007 11:57:15, Itemize by SMTP Server on USCCiMTA02/SVR/SPE(Release 6.5.5|November 30, 2005) at 10/10/2007 11:59:41 AM, Serialize by Router on USCCiMTA02/SVR/SPE(Release 6.5.5|November 30, 2005) at 10/10/2007 11:59:56 AM, Serialize complete at 10/10/2007 11:59:56 AM

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=vls

"Flemish" is listed as an alternate name in Netherlands and France.

Karen Broome

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote on 10/10/2007 11:46:33 AM:

> Where do you see "Flemish" cited as synonymous with "Vlaams"?
>
> The closest I see is a statement that Dutch is "[c]alled 'Vlaams' in
> Belgium, even though it is different from the (West) Vlaams spoken
there."

> Peter

But
> > if
> >
> > the Cantonese speaker is looking at dubbed films, a fallback to spoken
> > "zh-cmn" is not as likely to be useful.
> >
> > >From what I understand the same is true in written Dutch vs. spoken
> > Flemish -- a Flemish speaker may be able to easily read standard
Dutch,