Re: [Ltru] Re: [everson@evertype.com: The Language Subtag Reviewer]

Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> Wed, 14 March 2007 16:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:08:44 -0700
From: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
To: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: [everson@evertype.com: The Language Subtag Reviewer]
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

The question before us is not Michael's performance, but what or whether
to change anything about the Reviewer role in 4646bis. I think reviewing
Michael's personal performance in the role is troublesome, since it
verges on personal attack. After considerable thought, I think I have
reached my own decision on how I think we should proceed:

1. I think we should not change anything at all about the Reviewer role
in the current draft, with one exception (below). I think we made the
right "design decisions". If the "implementation" is inappropriate, we
should each, as individuals, take appropriate actions to improve it. For
my own part this has included monitoring the ietf-languages list to see
that the provisions of 4646 are generally followed and attempting to
help registrants with their applications.

Note: we included specific text in the current draft dealing with
delegation of listmom and so forth. Official roles with separate
appointments are not necessary. Why burden the IESG with them?

2. I think we should include in the provisions for the IESG's selection
of the reviewer a comment period on the appointment similar to other
selections in the IETF. If some feel that the reviewer selected is or is
not appropriate, they should have an opportunity to provide feedback to
the IESG other than the appeals process at that time. Excepting appeals
to the IESG, that would be the appropriate time and forum in which to
critique the current Reviewer's performance.

Addison

--
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.