Re: [Ltru] Status of RFC 4645bis

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Wed, 21 March 2007 14:41 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Status of RFC 4645bis
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:24:43 -0700

Martin Hosken <martin underscore hosken at sil dot org> wrote:

> OK I'll take a go (I couldn't find bis-02 only bis-01 so I'll talk
> about that).

You're right, -01 is the version most recently submitted.

> My main point is that there are lots of suppress scripts missing.

There is a problem in general with Suppress-Script, but I contend it is
a problem best discussed in the main process document (RFC 4646bis) and
not in the document that delivers the Registry and outlines the rules
for creating it (RFC 4645bis).

The problem, as you state and as Frank Ellermann has stated roughly
4,646 times, is that by providing such a field, users will expect it to
be correctly and authoritatively populated all of the time.  This is
something ietf-languages has (IMHO) neither the time nor the expertise
to do.  Instead, the field is present only for a sampling of languages
for which an "overwhelmingly used" script could be determined with
little or no controversy.  Proposals to add others are welcome at
ietf-languages.

The gap between expectation and reality here is one of the reasons I
opposed Suppress-Script in the first place.

> Here are a few that spring out at me:
>
> ko -> Hang
>
> This is a biggy I would suspect.

I thought so too, for a long time, and studied this a year ago to try to
prove it.  I read books, scanned newspapers, and talked to native Korean
speakers.  What I found was that, although Hangul is by far the most
common script for writing Korean (maybe even "overwhelmingly"), there is
noticeable use of hanja is certain contexts: scientific works, personal
names, newpaper headlines (to resolve ambiguities), and a few others.
There is also an important tradition that hanja is part of the Korean
cultural experience, so that even if Hangul is overwhelmingly used, the
"controversy" factor applies here.  I went in firmly believing that this
Suppress-Script should be added, and came away believing it should not,
which I think is significant.

> The following I'm not so sure about.
>
> bm -> Latn

See above.  The correct place to propose these is ietf-languages.

> Hmm I'll stop there. I wonder if it might be helpful to put some kind
> of comment into the registry to say either that the decision has been
> made that this language has no suppress script (because more than one
> is used) or that no decision has been made as to whether this language
> has a suppress script or not until they've all been decided on.

Again, I believe the place for such a comment is in RFC 4646bis.  There
is no provision in the syntax of the Registry to add file-level
comments, though it was suggested during LTRU 1.0.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/