RE: [Ltru] Re: matching comments: use of prefixes

"Addison Phillips" <addison.phillips@quest.com> Thu, 29 September 2005 19:19 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: matching comments: use of prefixes
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:19:12 -0700
From: Addison Phillips <addison.phillips@quest.com>
To: Addison Phillips <addison.phillips@quest.com>, Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, ltru@ietf.org
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

Okay, here's what I have now:

--
<t>In particular, the set of language tags that match a specific language-range might not all be mutually intelligible. Matching a language-range (prefix) to various language tags does not mean that it is always true that if a user understands a language identified by a certain tag, then this user will also understand all of the languages for which this tag is a prefix. The use of prefixes (and thus basic language ranges) allows languages to be selected as if this were always the case. In many cases, the language range and the set of language tags associated with it are mutually intelligible enough to be useful and this form of matching has historically been to most prevalent.
</t>

<t>Cases do exist in which care has to be applied to the selection of the language range. This is especially true when the language range encloses multiple, widely divergent dialects. For example, the language range "sgn" (for Sign Languages) describes a wide range of mutually unintelligible languages. Thus users SHOULD use as many subtags as necessary to describe something which they would understand.</t>

<t>Users SHOULD avoid subtags that add no distinguishing value to a language range. For example, script subtags SHOULD NOT be used to form a language range with language subtags which have a matching Suppress-Script field in their registry record. Thus the language range "en-Latn" is probably inappropriate for most applications (because the vast majority English documents are written in the Latin script and thus the 'en' language subtag has a Suppress-Script field for 'Latn' in the registry).
</t>
--

Comments?

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.