Re: [Ltru] Re: IANA, UTF-8 and the Language Subtag Registry

David Conrad <david.conrad@icann.org> Tue, 20 March 2007 17:31 UTC

From: David Conrad <david.conrad@icann.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: IANA, UTF-8 and the Language Subtag Registry
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:29:58 -0700
To: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

Hi,

On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:
>> I just discussed the matter with Barbara Coleman (IANA),

Roseman, not Coleman.

>> at the IETF meeting. She said that IANA has no problem with UTF-8,
>> providing that it is clearly specified in the RFC, with the list
>> of allowed characters, if IANA is to check them (which is not the
>> case for the Description fields, I believe, unlike subtags where
>> IANA checks they are unique).
>
> Subtags are constrained to be Basic Latin (ASCII) letters and
> digits, as stated in RFC 4646, and are unaffected by a change from
> hex NCRs to UTF-8.
>
> Descriptions and comments could theoretically include almost any
> ISO 10646 character, so providing a list would make little sense.
>
> Did Barbara say anything about converting the data from hex NCRs
> *to* UTF-8?

I doubt it as I suspect she (like me) has no idea what "NCRs" are.

> That was the crux as far as I was concerned.  We want the Registry
> to be in UTF-8, but it will be delivered via an I-D that must use
> hex NCRs.

So you want IANA to do a post processing step to translate hex NCRs
(whatever they are) into UTF-8?  That's fine, as long as the IANA
considerations section is clear about what we need to do for the
translation.

Rgds,
-drc
General Manager, IANA