Re: [Ltru] UTF-8

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Thu, 21 June 2007 19:37 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] UTF-8
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:37:22 -0700

Hi -

As co-chair...

We've had this discussion  several times.  As long as there is
an insistance that the format for the communication of updates
is the same as that of the registry itself, I'm pretty sure the conclusion
won't change in the forseeable future.  Just on this list, we've all
seen the picturesque results of various incompatible mailers
(and even different configurations of the same mailer) mangling
what should be simple UTF-8.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to
just be a question of having the right fonts.

If this thread is to move forward to a different conclusion, the only
path by which I can see it succeeding is to recognize that the
email communication of changes might have to rely on a different
coding of non-ASCII things from what the registry itself uses.
 If we can agree that the existing email format is adequate for purposes
of communicating changes, then there are three decisions needed:
    (0) do we want to stick with email as our mechanism for communicating
          updates?
   (1) is a UTF-8 registry indeed desirable?
   (2) if so, are we willing to allow IANA to convert the apropriate bits
        of an update directive conveyed in ASCII into the "real" code points?

But please, let's not rehash the discussion we've already had.

Randy