Re: [Ltru] Consensus call: extlang

Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no> Thu, 29 May 2008 07:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:01:48 +0200
From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: "Broome, Karen" <Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com>, "ltru@ietf.org" <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Consensus call: extlang
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

Mark Davis 2008-05-29 06.14:

> [...] The string "zh-yue" is really a different semantic; it is
>  not just Cantonese, it is "Cantonese-but-fall-back-to-
> ambiguously-Chinese-of-indeterminate-script" in lookup (but not
> some other operations like RFC 4646 filtering). [...]

If the focus is identification, then the fallback and filtering
doesn't matter (or must be defined subsequently).  Certainly,
however, it is because 'zh-yue' can be identified with 'zh' that
it can default/fall back to 'zh'.  By saying 'zh-yue' we are also
identifying 'zh' - as a wide tag.

Extlang makes identifying/finding *all* Chinese languages simple,
for those that need to do find them all. It would only require
that you ask for 'zh'. Thus with extlang one could start tagging
resources spesificly *immediatly*, because it should be highly
compatible with existing application behaviour.

(Btw, this approach strikes me as higly compatible with another
popular slogan: Don't break the Web.)

Whether 'zh' or any other Macrolanguage tag would be recommended
  - alone or together with more spesific tags - as "preferred
language tag" in Web browsers etc, is a question that must be
determined by examining the situation for each language and
localisation.  And it must determined separately from the question
of how to tag the resources to be consumed (text/audio/video) by
that program.

(I personally have a hard time thinking that it will *ever* happen
that e.g. a Chinese user will *not* need to ask for 'zh'
regardless what we do.)

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Broome, Karen:
>> I thought the primary goal was identification, not fallback.
>> Without extlang, we lose some information the ISO standards
>> otherwise contain.  I think we may be losing an oppportunity
>> to clean up some historically muddy tags. I raise questions
>> about identification and I am answered with arguments about
>> fallback. I honestly fear this draft may not be an
>> improvement for me

What I have understood lately, because I've understood better how
fallback works, is that extlang WRT fallback is closer to the
no-extlang solution than I thought. This fact ought to be a reason
to  focus more on the identifaction issue. The identification
issue is also more related to tagging *resources* than to saying
how *applications* should find those resources. At the same time,
it is of course good to have a compatible model.

I think that deprecating the 'zh' or any of the other
macrolanguage tags must be out of question. If the purpose of the
RFC is to deal especially with the Macrolanguages, then it would
be a strange thing to deprecate those tags. ISO has defined them.
They must be accepted. Instead  one could focus on saying hat
macrolanguage tags and extlang tags are good for different
purposes. One should generally advice strongly against using the
macrolanguage subtags alone, for tagging, for the identication
reasons you mention. While at the same time doing a much more
careful evaluation about what to do inside Web browsers and other
applications that can be used to find those resources.

This thing with "historically muddy tags" is important. The
identification argument *is* connected to those Macrolanguage tags
which are allready in use, and especially to those Macrolanguage
tags which have been the sole tag for an entire Macrolanguage.

Btw, for those macrolanguages which will not get extlang, we
should get into the RFC, that to use the Macrolanguage subtag in
e.g. a Web browser will lead to all encompassed languages being
included. (With the exception for Swahili, Uzbek etc.) That way,
for those Macrolanguges which are covering closely related
encompassed languages, the users and implementors will only need
to include two tags in order to cover the entire Macrolanguage
*and* to specify one's preferred encompassed language. I.e. the
same number of tags that those *with* encompassed languages
generally will need to include .
--
leif halvard silli