[Ltru] Re: What is EU for in locales?

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Wed, 12 December 2007 04:15 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:15:22 -0800
Subject: [Ltru] Re: What is EU for in locales?

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

>> I'd like to know what EU is supposed to be for.
>
> I believe the answer there is: it's a code for a region, whose display
> name and other info you can retrieve. There is no "xx-EU" locale in
> CLDR (or anywhere else that I'm aware of).

But, but... this whole business got started a month ago when it was
noted that CLDR used 'QU' for European Union, and Mark Davis expressed a
desire to use 'EU' instead and also to use BCP 47 as the source for
locale identifiers:

Martin Dürst:  "We clearly don't want to reopen every single discussion
that we had leading to RFC 4646, but if necessary, we can reconsider
some of thae decisions for RFC 4646bis. As an example, would it make
sense for the LTRU WG to ask for permission from the ISO 3166-1/MA?"

Mark Davis:  "I'd be very much in favor of it -- CLDR only adds a very
small number of codes to BCP 47 (it uses private use codes for
compatibility). The QU code is a hack because we don't have EU, so it'd
be very nice to get rid of that. (BTW, we don't really have to petition
ISO to use it; if we want to use EU, there is nothing stopping us.)"

So while there may be no "xx-EU" locale in CLDR, there was clearly a
motivation to get 'EU' into the Language Subtag Registry so that CLDR
could use it instead of 'QU' for *something*.

> I think the main thing is not that EU is used in locale identifiers.
> It is that BCP 47 provides a stabilized collection of regions, which
> is useful in maintaining locale data.

I liked it better when the LSR was just for language tagging.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell