RE: [Ltru] RE: Preliminary Investigation into Application of ISO 11179

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Wed, 28 June 2006 23:57 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: 'Martin Duerst' <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Ltru] RE: Preliminary Investigation into Application of ISO 11179
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:06:45 +0100
Cc: 'Doug Ewell' <dewell@adelphia.net>

 Martin wrote:

> Regarding codes such as 1234.IETF.LTRU, I have to say that I
> don't personally see the point. I very much agree that having
> a global identification system is a good thing, but if we are
> going to use such a system, it should use URIs (or IRIs) in
> order to be compatible with Web technology. If ISO 11179
> doesn't provide or allow this, then I don't think it's worth
> considering (at least not this aspect of the standard).

The format of these data elements is as follows:
- ICD: integer, variable length, up to 4 digits;
- Identification of an organization: variable length, up to 35 characters;
- OPI: variable length, up to 35 characters;
- OPIS: 1 character.
No particular sequence of the four components is specified (at least not in
ISO 11179).

Additionally, there are no constraints on elements that can be added!

Best regards

Debbie