RE: [Ltru] Punjabi

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Wed, 14 March 2007 17:02 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: Don Osborn <dzo@bisharat.net>, "'Sarmad Hussain, Dr.'" <sarmad.hussain@nu.edu.pk>, 'Mark Davis' <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>, "ISO639-3@sil.org" <ISO639-3@sil.org>, "iso639-2@loc.gov" <iso639-2@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:02:24 -0700
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Punjabi
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'Abbas Malik' <abbas.malik@gmail.com>, 'Nayyara Karamat' <Nayyara.Karamat@nu.edu.pk>

Don:

Please don’t rush to assume that this situation is similar to the kinds of situations you encounter in Africa with language networks that span borders – it’s not clear to me, at least, that this is a comparable situation. All the information I’ve seen (though by no means to I think I have a good understanding at this point) suggests that “Panjabi” spoken in India is significantly different from “Panjabi” spoken in Pakistan. (Of course, the script used is different.) If there is a lot of difference, then a broader conceptualization that encompasses both is probably *not* appropriate for locale data in software implementations.

Of course, the challenge here is the use of a common name. Note that the sharing of a name does not necessarily imply a common language; it may have more to do with ethnic, cultural or regional ties than with language, as is true in the case of “Kachin”. Again, I don’t know what is actually the case for “Panjabi”.

(Btw, I wouldn’t object if the governments of Pakistan or India dictated that the standard English spelling should be specifically “Panjabi” or specifically “Punjabi”.)

Peter