Re: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Tue, 03 July 2007 03:54 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:54:56 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

Granted, but we really need to be mindful of who the users of the registry
(rather than things built using information from the registry) would be.
These are the use cases that I think are important to support:

   1) Developers of software packages to support localization and
        internationalization.  It's hard to imagine them not having UTF-8
        capabilities.

    2) Developers of software used to identify the language(s) used in content.
         It's hard to imagine them not having UTF-8 capabilities.

    3) Reviewers (typically linguists or technologists, I'd hope) evaluating
         language subtag registration requests.  It's hard to imagine them
         not having UTF-8 capabilities, even though we've heard from two
         people whose circumstances prevent them from being able to
         use current technology.  (I can't imagine continuing to work under
         such conditions, and don't know why they put up with it.)

     4) People with a need to request a new subtag registration.  If they
         are linguists, I'd strongly suspect that they'd have access to UTF-8
         capable technology.  Otherwise, I suspect they'd already be
         covered by (1), (2), or (3) above.

Am I missing something?

Randy