[Ltru] Re: UTF-8

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Mon, 18 September 2006 05:28 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:28:26 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> The other possibility is to say whatever the sources say.  I didn't
> note that you modified the source descriptions in some way.  Please
> don't do this without a rule for it in 4646bis.

I didn't.

Having said that, I would really like the WG to come to a FORMAL
decision, certified by a co-chair, on this whole Description thing.  We
should not have text in 4646bis that talks about the Description field
being non-normative, only for identification purposes, only to indicate
the meaning of the subtag, able to be broadened, etc., and at the same
time be required to keep the exact ISO-originated reference name, warts
and ambiguity and weird acute accents and all.  I'm not sure I even care
any more which path we choose, but we cannot have it both ways.

> If that's the case they should most definitely say so.  But I don't
> see the point, just copy what the sources say as long as it's an
> assigned code-point for a character.

Don't forget about variant subtags registered by ietf-languages.  Those
don't have "sources" in the sense you're thinking of.

> Good that we didn't introduce an MES-1 restriction for 4646 :-)

We didn't add any restriction, and there was a reason for that.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA