Re: [Ltru] draft-davis-t-langtag-ext

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Sat, 09 July 2011 10:19 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: doug@ewellic.org, 'Kent Karlsson' <kent.karlsson14@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:20:03 +0100
Cc: ltru@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ltru] draft-davis-t-langtag-ext

I would support this argument.

Debbie

-----Original Message-----
From: doug@ewellic.org [mailto:doug@ewellic.org]
Sent: 09 July 2011 01:59
To: Kent Karlsson; Debbie Garside
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

The current draft refers partly to the LSR (for "from" tags, which I
understand), partly to data located somewhere within CLDR, and partly to a
set of numeric patterns and an interpretation rule. That's not "a registry"
in any sense, so I guess it's a good thing that BCP 47 doesn't seem to
require one.

During the review period for the draft that became 6067, I argued hard for
putting all the relevant data in one easy-to-find place, not zipped together
with a lot of unrelated data. That argument was not successful, and you can
see now that much of the current draft is being defended as "this is the
same thing we did in 6067, which was approved." So the argument is even less
likely to be accepted than it was before.

--Doug