[Ltru] Re: extlang

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Tue, 20 March 2007 14:17 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:17:25 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Re: extlang

Don Osborn <dzo at bisharat dot net> wrote:

> "Macrolanguage" is an interesting concept, but whatever its original
> intent (and whatever linguists in general think of it), it seems bound
> to accrue other meanings and applications. This is not necessarily bad
> though it might complicate life for coding.

I think we would do well to remember that macrolanguages are a concept
defined by ISO 639/RA, and we need to respect the concept as they have
defined it regardless of how we choose to reflect it in language tags.
As a WG we should not get involved in extending the concept, although
some might wish to do so as individuals (and that is between them and
ISO 639/RA).

There is such a diversity of interpretations of the macrolanguage
concept on this list alone that I am concerned this WG will be
perceived, both within and without, as responsible for (a) defining the
concept, (b) extending the definition, or (c) assigning macrolanguages.
None of this is our job.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/