[Ltru] Re: extlang

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Tue, 04 September 2007 13:58 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 06:58:04 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Re: extlang

GerardM <gerard dot meijssen at gmail dot com> wrote:

> My question is about Min Nan, according to what is proposed zh-nan.
> This language has been written in both the Chinese script and the
> Latin script for several centuries. According to my information it was
> already written in the Latin script in the 16th century in the
> Philippines. The question, zh implies one of the Chinese scripts.
> Should the code therefore be zh-nan-Latn and, should there not be a
> code for the particular orthography as well and can a code for the
> orthography replace the Latn indicator.
>
> NB this is a practical question as the Wikipedia in Min-Nan is written
> in the Latin script.

My opinion, and mine alone, is that you should be able to use "zh-nan"
and not worry about the script subtag.  Not every tagging scenario
requires explicit specification, or even implication, of the script,
just as not every tagging scenario requires identification of the
region.

Specifying the script is important when it is necessary to contrast it
with other scripts.  For example, you might write "zh-nan-Latn" to
distinguish it from "zh-nan-Hani" if it were necessary to distinguish
between the two.  The fact that the Min-Nan Wikipedia text is written
does not necessarily mean this is necessary.

This is one of the things I dislike about Suppress-Script: it tends to
imply that the script subtag is always important, and is simply being
omitted in this tag for brevity or compatibility.

If we get rid of extended language subtags, of course, then this is a
moot point: "nan" can be given a Suppress-Script of "Latn", or can be
left alone, and neither choice would imply anything about Han.

I see no reason why the Min-Nan *orthography* needs its own subtag,
unless (again) it needs to be distinguished from Min-Nan written in some
other Latin orthography.  Thousands of languages use the Latin script
with their own orthography.  There's nothing unique about Min-Nan in
this regard.

--
Doug Ewell · Fullerton, California, USA · RFC 4645 · UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/